1/14/08

Testimony

A couple of crippled hearts we were,
limping out to meet in front of the ruins
to lick each others wounds,
and shed our sunday best,
to reveal the tiny white scars
that never fully healed.

I begged the night would be gentle to her.
in that moment her every mournful word
seemed like an act of god.
I just listened as she sang Solomon,
nodding my head to the heartbeat played
by the little drummer boys she'd loved before.

Through heart and history
we crossed back over burned bridges.
Sucking the life out of the past
and breathing it back into each other.
Her confession so contagious,
it spread to every part of my body.

How carefully I watched her lips,
counting all the sins I would forgive
if we might manage a brief kiss.
She made me feel like a hero,
the kind of hero you dream of as a kid.
A hero, just for listening.

No comments: